Dive Into Greek Culture!
Samos is steeped in history and culture – which is the special focus for this week! There are some wonderful activities planned, including traditional dancing, a chance to learn some of the language, visits to local towns, a visit to the wine museum to see the production of Samos sweet wine, and even a trip to a traditional Greek restaurant to sample some delicious local food. Other trips that may be included are visits to the honey shop, the Temple of Hera, Pythagoras’ cave, as well as a variety of monasteries and chapels.
In Summer 2018 our Greek Culture weeks run on the 21st June and 13th September.
Activities included in the price of the week:
- Greek dancing (a wonderful show, with opportunities to join in the fun!)
- Greek language lessons
- Opportunities to visit local towns such as Pythagoreio
- Led kayaking trips to tavernas down the coast line
- Bike trips to various places on the island. An opportunity to see Samos in a different way, led by our very own Activities Rep. (you can also use the bikes at any time!)
- Use of our fleet of sailing boats, wind surf equipment, stand-up paddle boards and kayaks
- Evening activities, which may include quizzes, ceilidhs, campfires and games and much more
Trips which may run at an extra cost:
- Samos Island Tour - explore Samos by Jeep and see some amazing landscapes and points of interest
- Meet the owners of one the shops where Samos’ famous honey is made for a behind-the-scenes tour, and try some for yourself
- Visit the producers of traditional terracotta pots for a chance to see the process and get a souvenir to remember your trip by
- Visit the makers of the famous Samos sweet wine
- Explore traditional, local Greek towns as a part of a day trip or evening visit
- Climb up to Pythagoras’ cave where he taught his students, drew water from the deep cave inside the mountain and visit the church built into the side of the mountain
- Trip to the Temple of Hera
- An excursion further afield to Ephesus, where the apostle Paul walked and preached
The programme is subject to change and may depend on the popularity and availability of each excursion at the time of the holiday – however, if you are particularly interested in any of these trips, you may consider hiring a car when you arrive in Samos. The typical car hire is around 60-70€ per day depending on the size of the car.